Monday, August 1, 2011

yearn

BARBARA: 

"People languish for years with partners who are clearly from another planet. We want so much to believe that we’ve found our other. It takes courage to recognise the real as opposed to the convenient. When I was young, I had such a vision of myself. I dreamt I’d be someone to be reckoned with, you know, in the world. But one learns one’s scale. I’ve such a dread of ending my days alone."

*


BARBARA: 

"People like Sheba think they know what it is to be lonely, but of the drip, drip of long-haul, no-end-in-sight solitude, they know nothing. What it’s like to construct an entire weekend around a visit to the launderette. Or to be so chronically untouched that the accidental brush of a bus conductor’s hand sends a jolt of longing straight to your groin. Of this, Sheba and her like have no clue."



-Patrick Marber, Notes on a Scandal (adapted from the eponymous novel by Zoë Heller)


it hits me straight to the core. i must confess that i've neither read Ms.Heller's book nor the film adaptation, but they've become a priority after this.

thank you for the introduction, jieqiang.

i was listening to It's A Fire by my favourite band, Portishead, when i received the quotes. i'm quite aware that it's an overload of melancholy, but it's one of those days that hang around you like a flogged albatross.



It's a fire
These dreams they pass me by
This salvation I desire
Keeps getting me down



Portishead

No comments:

Post a Comment